Saint Ann’s Parish has graced the coastal landscape of the Connecticut River and Long Island Sound with a strong and resounding Episcopal presence. In the heart of an historic art colony, home of the Florence Griswold Museum, Lyme Art Association and Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts, Saint Ann’s has long been the place of worship for both full-time residents of the community and seasonal visitors.
The Holy Spirit who breathed life into our Mission at Black Hall in 1883 still moves among us and guides us onward to a new and deeper expression of God’s love. We remember and respect our special heritage as we prepare Saint Ann’s to serve the community for future generations.
Saint Ann's was established in 1883 as an Episcopal mission in the Black Hall section of Old Lyme. Once a month a priest arrived on horseback to celebrate the Eucharist. In 1892 a Guild House was erected and services began to be held there. In 1923 the Diocese of Connecticut purchased the former Baptist Church on Lyme Street for the growing Saint Ann’s Parish. During the Depression, membership dwindled and the Lyme Street building was sold to the Catholic Church for $1. Saint Ann’s Parish resumed services in the Guild House where they remained an active congregation for 30 years. Saint Ann’s current building was dedicated in 1956, and the Guild House began its new life as the Nearly New Shop, Saint Ann’s thriving thrift shop ministry. We hope and pray that we will always remember our special heritage.
In 2019, Saint Ann’s embarked on the Reflect, Restore, Renew Capital Campaign to raise funds for major renovations and improvements. Summer and Fall renovations included adding a beautiful stone terrace, planters and handicap ramp, expanding and renovating the Narthex, painting the interior of the Sanctuary, painting the exterior of the church, and painting the front doors Episcopal Red. Additional improvements are planned for Fall 2020.